- Researching and writing a business plan for horses
- The importance of a lawyer
- The dangers of borrowing too much
- The pitfalls of construction contracts
- Tips for dealing with boarders
- What they’d do differently
This is an overview book that is packed with ideas about how to capitalize your horse business and in contrast to the “what it really takes” book reviewed previously, it covers a lot more than just a boarding barn.
I recently purchased the second edition of this book, without realizing that I already owned the first addition so I’ll be able to compare and contrast the two editions.
From the cover:
Marketing strategies, money-saving tips, and profitable program ideas, including how to:
- Manage a riding school
- Direct a horseback camp
- Operate a boarding stable
- Breed and sell horses
- Run a carriage-driving business
- Host money-making events
- Open a tack shop
- Reduce veterinary bills
A new book for review has arrived! Spank the Bank: THE Guide to Alternative Business Financing.
This book appears to cover some business basics in section 1, section 2 touches on more traditional sources of financing, and finally, section 3 appears to have the goods!
The book review on this one will be scheduled at a later date.
Amazon: What it really takes to start and run a horse business: and how to do it right the first time by Grunska, Sheri
This book was one of the first I ordered. I bought it in part because the description said that it goes over how to make a business plan for a horse business, something I’d struggled to find elsewhere. Also, several websites had recommended it.
I’ll tell you right now, I’m about halfway through and I recommend this book too.
In the last month, I’ve spent over $100 on books from Amazon on horse breeding and horse business management. My purchases are trickling in and I’ve started reading them. So, I thought I’d give you all the list of my new purchases as these are the books I’ll be reviewing first.
- What it really takes to start and run a horse business: and how to do it right the first time by Grunska
- Starting & Running Your Own Horse Business, 2nd Edition: Marketing strategies, money-saving tips, and profitable program ideas by McDonald
- Equipping Your Horse Farm: Tractors, Trailers, Trucks & More by Hill and Klimesh
- Equine Stud Management (Textbook for Students) by Bailey
- Storey’s Guide to Raising Horses, 2nd Edition: Breeding, Care, Facilities by Thomas
- The Understanding Series:
- Genetics and Horse Breeding
- Stallions: Care and Management: A Complete Guide to Safer Management (Bringing You Closer)
- (Magazine)Warmblood Stallions of North America